2018 Undergraduate Seismic Design Competition
The 2018 Undergraduate Seismic Design Competition will be held in conjunction with the 2018 EERI Annual Meeting in Los Angeles California, June 26th – 29th, 2018.
We hope to see you at the 2018 Undergraduate Seismic Design Competition!
“The 2018 SDC Information Mailer #1 has been sent to all team captains. Please read it carefully, as it contains necessary travel and registration information for the 2018 SDC including how to register for the competition, how to arrange hotel accommodations, when to book travel, competition location, how to ship your models, and a preliminary draft schedule.”
The official registration for the 2018 SDC is now open and you can access it here: https://11nce
The ground motions and design guide for the 2018 competition have been posted. Please see the bottom of the webpage for the attached documents. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Seismic Design Competition Chairs at SDC@eeri.org.
The top ten design proposals are given below in alphabetical order:
|– Ain Shams University (ASU)|
|– California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona)|
|– Cornell University|
|– Stanford University|
|– Technical University of Cluj-Napoca (TUCN)|
|– University of California, Berkeley (UCB)|
|– University of California, Irvine (UCI)|
|– University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)|
|– University of Colorado, Boulder (CUB)|
|– University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin)|
The rules for the 2018 Seismic Design Competition and proposal guidelines are now available below. Please read through both carefully. Please note that some of the important dates have been adjusted since first posting.
You must submit a completed design proposal to receive an invitation for the 2018 SDC. Invitations are not guaranteed and are based on design proposal performance. The proposals will be evaluated using the design proposal rubric given below.
Team captions who have filled out the interest survey prior to this announcement should have received an E-mail notifying them the rules are now available. This e-mail serves as a confirmation that you have successfully filled out the interest survey. If you did not receive an e-mail, your e-mail address may have been incorrectly submitted, or you did not successfully fill out the form. In either case, please try re-submitting the form below.
Interest form for 2018 SDC is now open! All teams that plan to compete should fill out the form so the SDC chairs have contact information to notify your team of important dates and deadlines. The rules and proposal guidelines are being finalized and will be made available within a few of weeks. The competition will be held in Los Angeles, California. Similar to the 2017 competition, the 2018 SDC may limit the number of teams that compete. Invitations to the competition will be based on the design proposal submitted by each team. Proposals will be judged according to the rubric that will be provided with the rules. Please do not hesitate to contact the SDC chairs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the SLC co-presidents (email@example.com) with any questions you have.
The EERI SLC team is proud to host 40 teams from top schools coming from all around the world for the SDC competitions. The list of SDC teams participating this year is listed below (Alphabetic order):
– Ain Shams University (ASU)
– Brigham Young University (BYU)
– California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona)
– California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
– Cornell University
– California State University, Los Angeles (CSU LA)
– California State University, Sacramento (CSU Sacramento)
– California State University, Long Beach (CSU LB)
– University of Colorado, Boulder (CUB)
– Dalian University of Technology
– Iowa State University
– Lehigh University (LU)
– McMaster University
– North Carolina State University (NCSU)
– Portland State University
– Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre Y Maestra (PUCMM)
– Purdue University
– Rice University
– Sakarya University
– San Francisco State University (SFSU)
– Stanford University
– Technical University Of Civil Engineering Bucharest (TUCB)
– Technical University of Cluj-Napoca (TUCN)
– University at Buffalo, State University of New York
– University of British Columbia (UBC)
– University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
– University of California, Irvine (UCI)
– University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
– University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
– University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass Amherst)
– University of Minnesota Twin Cities (UMN TC)
– University of Nebraska – Lincoln (UNL)
– University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
– University of Memphis
– University of Toronto
– University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez (UPRM)
– University of Southern California (USC)
– University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin)
– Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
– Virginia Tech
Thanks and Regards,
EERI SDC Chairs
Many thanks to generous sponsors of SDC!
SDC Interest Form
Score Sheet and Judging Forms
Useful Online Tutorials
If you have any useful tutorials you would like to share with other teams, please email us.
Please note that all dates are subject to change!
|Friday, December 15th, 2017||Interest form deadline|
|Friday, December 15th, 2017||Proposal submission deadline (email pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Friday, January 6th, 2018||Notification of proposal results|
|Friday, April 20th, 2018||Preliminary damping device submission deadline (optional)|
|Friday, April 6th, 2018||Final registration deadline (https://11ncee.org/sdc)|
|Friday, May 11th, 2018||Final damping device submission deadline|
|Monday, June 11th, 2018||Rule submission form closes|
|Friday, June 22nd, 2018||Floor area calculations & performance predictions|
Seismic Design Competition Location
- Date: June 25-29, 2018
- Location: Los Angeles, CA at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, Los Angeles